Spring has been officially here for a couple of days (no matter how much it doesn't feel like it for some of us), which means it's the perfect time to talk about window safety. 14 children a day fall from windows, as CNN reports - that's 5,000 a year treated in hospitals for resulting injuries. Here are five must-follow tips for keeping your little ones safe near windows:
- Be sure that your windows are secured by a window opening control device. If you're getting new windows any time soon, look for a factory-installed device like this one from Marvin Windows & Doors.
- Always supervise children near windows, even if you have a safety device like the one mentioned above.
- Close and lock windows when you're not using them.
- Don't put furniture that your little one can climb on near windows.
- Be sure that one window per room meets egress standards so that you can escape if an emergency arises.