Your home is where you keep the items you hold most dear – souvenirs, old photos, heirlooms, valuables. So when we decided to share ways you can #ShowYouCare this February, we knew it would be important to cover burglary prevention tips. Here's some of our favorite advice:
- Always lock your doors – even if you feel like you live in a safe neighborhood, and even if you are only away from home for a short time.
- Leave outdoor lights on, especially in the winter when it gets dark before you get home from work. Burglars tend to avoid well-lit homes, and most break-ins occur during work hours.
- Don’t let mail collect in your mailbox or newspapers collect on your front step while you’re out of town. Ask someone you trust to stop by daily to pick up anything addressed to you.
- Frequently check the locks on your doors and windows. Install glass break alarms wherever possible.
- Don’t leave keys under doormats, in mailboxes or in a similar location. Criminals will check the standard hiding spots. Instead, leave a spare key with your neighbor or in your car’s locked glove compartment.
- Reduce any foliage visually blocking your home from the street.
- If it’s within your budget, install a security alarm system. Place corresponding window decals or yard signs prominently – but don’t rely on the signage alone to deter a burglar. Always arm your alarm system, even when it’s a hassle.
Download a PDF cheat sheet with these burglary prevention tips and share it with someone you love. Stick with us throughout February for more ways to protect the things that matter most.